Family holiday in the beautiful mountains of Salzburg
Perfect holiday offer
for the whole family
on a hike
Enter the fascinating world, that makes our habitat so special. Blooming meadows, gurgling streams, green forests and up above the steep mountain peaks, which rise up majestically into the heavens. Our resort offers families with children, adventure hikers and mountaineers an unforgettable summer holiday in Altenmarkt – Zauchensee im Salzburger Land.
Here you’ll find well-developed and marked hiking trails in all levels of difficulty for beginners as well as experienced hikers. Those who prefer things easier can discover the charm of the mountains by using the summer lift – 6-seater Gamskogel chairlift.
Hiking bus & sports shops
for active holidays
Make use of the Altenmarkt Wanderbus to make your hiking tours as easy as possible. The bus connects the region of the Salzburger Sportwelt (except St. Johann), e.g. from Altenmarkt – Zauchensee nach Flachauwinkl, Eben, Filzmoos etc. plus Obertauern and Untertauern. With the Magic Mountains-Card you can travel on the Wanderbus for just € 1,00 per journey. You an hire or purchase hiking equipment from Intersport Schneider and Topsport Klieber in Zauchensee, just a few minutes walk from the 4 star Hotel Zauchenseehof.
A hiking holiday in Zauchensee
Hiking paradise Zauchensee
situated in the heart of the Salzburger Sportwelt
- Well-marked footpaths in Zauchensee and in Altenmarkt – awarded the Austrian Hiking Seal of Quality
- Varying lengths and altitudes for families, beginners and experience hikers
- Atomic Vital Park in Altenmarkt – Zauchensee with more than 20 different hiking routes in 4 areas
- Gentle walks and demanding mountain tours right from the Hotel Zauchenseehof
- Mountain huts open for refreshment in Zauchensee: Gamskogel-Hütte, Garnhofhütte, Zauchenseealm andFelser-Hütte
- Gamskogel I chairlift open in summer for gentle walks – take to 6-seater chairlift in Zauchensee up to an altitude of 1,900 m (June to September) Highlight: Sunrise journies on three Sundays in summer
- Salzburger Almenweg leads through the region (stage from Flachau – Zauchensee – Vordergnadenalm)
- Guided hiking tours as part of Magic Mountains
For beginners and advanced
Our hiking tips
for your holiday
A variety of hiking routes from Zauchensee
- Tauernkarleiten-Tour – Start Zauchensee, destination is the Tauernkarleiten-Alm, duration approx. 2 hours
- Zauchenbach path to Altenmarkt – Start in Zauchensee to Altenmarkt-Schlatterberg-Feuersang, Duration approx. 2.5 hours
- Panorama tour Rossbrand – from Schwemmberg in Altenmarkt up the Rossbrand to the Radstädter Hütte, duration approx. 5.5 hours
- Seekarsee lake Zauchensee – a number of possibilities: on foot from Zauchensee, duration approx. 2.5 hours; 6-seater chairlift Gamskogel I, then 0.5 hours walking time to the lake; high circular path around the Seekarsee lake, Schwarzwand back to the Gamskogelhütte, duration approx. 1.5 hours
- Arnoweg – stage starts at the World Cup Arena Zauchensee to Altenmarkt-Schlatterberg-Feuersang, duration approx. 7.5 hours
Selected circular hiking trails and footpaths for families
Walking with children in Altenmarkt – Zauchensee
- Moon trail: approx. 2.2 km along the Zauchensee lake with 7 stations, e.g. observatory “Telescope Star Guides” are offered on a regular basis Video Moon Trail
- Strims circular trail in Zauchensee, approx. 7.1 km
- Farmers’ sayings circular trail in Altenmarkt, approx. 4.9 km
- Ants’ mountain circular trail in Altenmarkt, approx. 6.6 km
- Eckwald circular trail in Altenmarkt, approx. 5.2 km
- Enns circular trail in Altenmarkt, approx. 6.0 km
Demanding tours for experienced hikers
- 4-peak circular tour – Gamskogel, Schwarzkopf, Tagweidegg and Arche, walking time approx. 4.5 hours
- Rosskopf tour for experienced hikers, from the valley station of the Gamskogel lift I to the Gamskogelhütte, over the Seekarscharte to the Rosskopf, descent via the Höchalm and Unterbergalm, walking time approx. 3.5 hours
- Lackenkogel tour – route starts at the valley station of the Gamskogel lift I and ends in Altenmarkt, walking time approx 7.5 hours
- Alpine circular tour Zauch valley – the tour starts in Zauchensee, walking time approx. 7.5 hours
Hiking with Michael
A special summer highlight:
hiking with the Ski World Cup Champion Michael Walchhofer on selected hiking trails in the mountains around Zauchensee in the Salzburger Sportwelt.
Magic Mountains and Almsommer-Wandertage - experience these perfect holiday offers for the summer and let the famous ski star show you the area!
In the middle of the Salzburg mountains
for your holiday.